These gluten-free donuts are baked, which is great…because who needs the added fat of frying?!
gluten-free, baked donuts
2 cups cake flour (3/4 cup chickpea flour, 3/4 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch, 1/4 cup rice flour, sifted together)
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I bought a whole nutmeg and grated it – it makes the kitchen smell so nice!)
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup almond milk
2 eggs, beaten lightly
2 tbsp melted coconut oil (plus a little extra for oiling the donut pan)
- preheat your oven to 425 °F
- prepare your donut pan by lightly oiling it with a little melted coconut oil
- in a large mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, cane sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg
- in a separate bowl, mix the lightly beaten eggs, almond milk and melted coconut oil (here’s a trick I use: heat the almond milk slightly and add your solid coconut oil. Let it sit till the coconut oil melts and then mix in your eggs)
- add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and beat lightly until just mixed together
- fill each donut cup to about 3/4 full and bake for 8 – 10 minutes (they’re done when the top of the donuts spring back when you press them lightly)
- let cool for 5 minutes, before removing from the donut pan
- remove from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack
Finish the donuts with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar; honey, lime and coconut or melted chocolate.
Makes 12 large donuts.